How to Apply
You can apply online from July 28 – August 11.
Gather your documents now to be ready to apply during the two-week application window.
If you need assistance, community agencies called Navigators are available across Harris County to help you submit an application and provide other services. Navigators have proven experience in working with families in times of crisis, including the COVID-19 pandemic.
Find a Navigator
Applicants will be randomly selected to ensure fairness. This is not a first-come, first-serve program. There is no guarantee that your application will be selected or that you will receive funds.
Catholic Charities will receive the names of selected applicants, then review all applications for eligibility, work with those applicants to get the proper documentation within a short time frame, then process payment for those that are approved.
When you submit an application, you will be asked to provide this information:
- Contact information
- Number of people in your household
- Public benefits programs that apply to you OR an estimate of monthly household income and sources and proof of household income
You will be asked to upload documents when you submit your application. Only a valid form of identification is mandatory. If your application is selected, you can provide the other documents later.
Tips for providing documents: You can take a photo of a document and upload it from your photos if you are applying while using your phone. If you are applying while on your computer, e-mail the photo to your home account, save it to your computer, and upload it when filling out the application.
Valid Form of Identification (This is required.)
Acceptable proofs of identification:
- Current or recently expired Texas Identification card or Driver’s license
- Current or recently expired out-of-state issued ID or Driver’s license
- Current or expired U.S. passport
- Non-expired U.S. Visa Card
- Non-expired Work permit or Employment Authorization Card
- Legal permanent resident card (Green card)
- Non-expired Current Office of Refugee Resettlement ID
- Handgun license
- Military ID
- Texas Election ID certificate
Proof of Residence within Harris County
Acceptable proofs of residence within Harris County:
- Current photo ID (must be an address within Harris County)
- Current utility bill (water, gas, cell phone, internet, or other utility provider)
- Mail from the government office, financial institution, or utility provider
- Lease with name of the applicant (or household member) and Harris County address
- Proof of temporary residency: a letter of temporary residence with address of residence including name and contact information of person verifying residence, a current hotel/motel bill.
- Homeless: a statement saying that you are homeless and do not have any of these documents.
Proof of Income Eligibility
Eligible applicants will either (1) be participants in one of the following qualifying public assistance programs listed below, or (2) have a household income at or below 60% of the HUD Area Median Family Income (HAMFI) at time of application.
If you qualify for one of the following public assistance programs, please have documentation verifying participation in that program ready at time of application.
- Harris Health Gold Card
- Public Housing Assistance (Houston or Harris County Housing Authority)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) (Found on light bill)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps)
- Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Tribal Assistance
- VA Pension or Disability
If you do not participate in one of these programs, but your income falls below 60% of the HUD Area Median Family Income (HAMFI), please have an estimate of your monthly income and sources, and proof of household income ready at time of application.
Acceptable income documents include:
- 2019 or 2020 tax return listing all adult household members
- 2019 or 2020 W-2(s) for every job held by each adult household member
- 2019 or 2020 1099(s) for every job held by each adult household member
If you do not have these documents, you may also upload:
- One month of recent pay stubs
- Profit and loss ledger for the past 30 days (Download here: ENGLISH | SPANISH | VIETNAMESE | CHINESE)
- Declaration of income statement (Download here: ENGLISH | SPANISH | VIETNAMESE | CHINESE)
- Stipends, alimony, pension/retirement/annuity monthly award letters
- Signed letter from your employer
- Certification of Zero Income
Self-certification of Pandemic Impact
Applicants will be asked to self-certify that they have experienced financial hardship during the pandemic. Financial hardship includes loss of a job, reduction in wages or business income, loss of income due to COVID-19 health reasons, and insufficient household income to pay for expenses during the pandemic. No documentation will be required.
What happens if your application is selected:
If your application is selected, you will receive a notification from Catholic Charities. You may be contacted by an eligibility specialist from Catholic Charities for additional information or documentation if necessary.
|Household Size||60% Area Media Income|
Get help with your application from a Navigator!
If you need assistance submitting your application through the website, you can visit a community agency (or Navigator) to get help with:
- Applying for Harris County Recovery Assistance by explaining eligibility requirements, scanning documents or providing other technology support – in multiple languages.
- Connecting families to additional services such as food, healthcare, job training, legal services or other resources.